AM1NAH Liquid-Gold Laal Maas
Laal Maas is a very popular red meat dish in Rajasthan. It is a fiery meat curry which is made withthe combination of Kashmiri red chillies and other popular spices of Rajasthan.It is cooked in various ways, however, the authentic one is made with MathaniaRed Chillies which are often not easy to source so here we have substitutedthem for Red Bird’s Eye Chillies.
- Blender Optional
- Heavy-bottom Pan Optional
- 1.5 kg Lamb leg Cubes bone-in
- 2 x 500 ml Lamb bone broth
- 30 ml Lamb tallow
- 1 Cup Greek yoghurt
- 3/4 tsp Crushed fresh turmeric root
- 10-15 Red finger chillies
- 2 Organic brown onions
- 100 g Garlic paste
- 50 g Crushed garlic cloves
- 100 g Ginger paste
- 25 g Crushed ginger
- 200 g Tomato puree
- 2 Bay leaves
- 4 Black cardamom seeds
- 5 Green cardamom seeds
- 2 Cinnamon sticks
- 6 Black cloves
- 1 Cup Filtered water
- Himalayan pink salt to taste
- Coriander leaves to garnish
- In a blender, mix the cardamom, cinnamon, cloves and half of the red chillies – set aside. Also slice some red chillies in half and keep aside.4 Black cardamom seeds, 5 Green cardamom seeds, 2 Cinnamon sticks, 6 Black cloves, 10-15 Red finger chillies
- Marinate the meat using the spice blend above (save 1tsp), yoghurt, ginger and garlic pastes, bay leaves and turmeric root. Mix well and set aside to marinate in the refrigerator for an hour.1 Cup Greek yoghurt, 100 g Garlic paste, 100 g Ginger paste, 2 Bay leaves, 3/4 tsp Crushed fresh turmeric root
- In a heavy bottom pan, heat the tallow and add the onions. Sauté until golden brown in colour.2 Organic brown onions
- Add tomato puree, crushed ginger, garlic and water. Sauté until the tallow begins to separate.50 g Crushed garlic cloves, 25 g Crushed ginger, 200 g Tomato puree, 30 ml Lamb tallow
- Add the meat and sauté on high heat for 3 minutes. Pour in the bone broth. Stir.1.5 kg Lamb leg, 2 x 500 ml Lamb bone broth
- Cover the pan with a lid and let it slow-cook until the meat is tender. For a thick red fiery flavoured gravy, reduce by 50%.
- Garnish with the saved spice blend (1tsp) and coriander leaves. Serve piping hot.Coriander leaves
Pictured here, we have served Laal Maas with organic dill-infused long-grain basmati rice cooked in bone broth, a pinch of pink salt, green cardamom and a bay leaf sprinkled with sesame seeds and our secret spice blend.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!